‘Ready for WAR’ Kim Jong-un promises ‘POWERFUL RESPONSE’ after US Navy deployment to Korea
Rex Tillerson has claimed that China agrees that “action has to be taken” regarding North Korea.
The US Secretary of State told CBS’s Face the Nation that there had been “extensive discussions around the dangerous situation in North Korea”.
Mr Tillerson said: “President Xi clearly understands, and I think agrees, that the situation has intensified and has reached a certain level of threat that action has to be taken.”
However it comes as reports that China has deployed 150,000 to the North Korean border amid fears citizens could soon be fleeing the reclusive state if the US sends an airstrike.
The Trump administration has been pressuring China to do more to rein in North Korea, which sends the vast majority of its exports to its giant neighbour across the Yellow Sea.
But U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has said last week’s U.S. military strike against Syria over its alleged use of chemical weapons was a warning to other countries, including North Korea, that “a response is likely” if they pose a danger.
As a U.S. Navy strike group headed to the region in a show of force, China and South Korea agreed on Monday to slap tougher sanctions on North Korea if it carries out nuclear or long-range missile tests, a senior official in Seoul said.
North Korea marks several major anniversaries this month and often marks the occasions with major tests of military hardware.